As a nonprofit organization, Wayne Memorial Hospital, from the time it first opened its doors in 1920, has depended on the generous and faithful gifts of its friends and benefactors. Without them, we would cease to exist. There are no small gifts. Each and every gift is important!
We appreciate all of our volunteers, who provide time, energy and expertise. These gifts are most valuable, and we cherish them. But there are other gifts we appreciate as well, monetary gifts that enable us to maintain our current facilities, construct new ones for our rapidly growing population, program development, acquisition of new technologies and other mission related needs. These gifts include annual giving, gifts in honor or memory of family and friends, capital campaign gifts and planned gifts.
Purpose of the Foundation
The specific purposes of the Foundation shall include: Fund raising, fund management and related activities to support and assist organizations that qualify as exempt organizations under Section 501 (c) (3) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 or the corresponding provisions of subsequent federal tax laws within the Corporation's service area, which organizations are engaged in activities relating to the promotion of health or the provision of hospital or health care services, and to make grants and gifts to such organizations all in support of or in furtherance of the mission of Wayne Memorial Health System, Inc. or any of its subsidiaries.
History of the Foundation
The Wayne Memorial Health Foundation was originally incorporated as a Pennsylvania nonprofit corporation on June 9, 1981. The original directors were Paul Meagher, Robert Katz, Sr., John Weidner, Henry Skier and Harry Propst, M.D. The name of the original entity was Wayne County Memorial Hospital Foundation, Inc., with its organizational meeting held on June 24, 1981 in the third floor dining room of the then Skilled Nursing Facility of Wayne County Memorial Hospital. The Wayne County Memorial Hospital Association served as the incorporator. Albert Rutherford, Esquire, served as counsel for the new entity. Parente Randolph Orlando Carey and Associates served as the public accountants. The first president was John Weidner. Robert Katz, Sr. was the secretary/treasurer.
The Foundation’s original bylaws stated that it was incorporated for charitable, scientific and educational purposes within the meaning of Section 501 (c) (3) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1954. More specifically, the purposes of the Foundation included fundraising and related activities to support and assist organizations that qualify as exempt organizations under Section 501 (c) (3) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1954, as well as, any and all activities consistent with or in furtherance of the above purposes. Over the course of its 30 year existence, the Foundation’s name and bylaws have been amended several times. The Foundation’s current name is Wayne Memorial Health Foundation, Inc. and its bylaws are essentially the same, except its purposes have been expanded to include not only fundraising, but fund management that support and assist organizations that qualify as exempt organizations under the Internal Revenue Code, which organizations are engaged in activities relating to the promotion of health or the provision of hospital or health care services; and furthermore, to make grants and gifts to such organizations, all in support of or in furtherance of the Mission of Wayne Memorial Health System or any of its subsidiaries. The Foundation has the ability to make grants to other non-profit community organizations within its service area that seek to improve the overall health status of the community served by the Health System; and has created a mini-grant program to facilitate that function. In addition, the specific purposes of the Foundation now includes the acquisition, ownership, use, lease, as lessor or as lessee, conveyance or other transactions with real and personal property. Again, all in support of those organizations described above and in furtherance of the Mission of Wayne Memorial Health System.
Today, the Foundation is the designated recipient of all charitable contributions that are to benefit the entities that comprise Wayne Memorial Health System. The Foundation also serves as the investment manager for all Health System entities. The Foundation is one of four partners in the Upper Delaware Area Cancer Consortium, a freestanding cancer treatment center, located in Matamoras, Pennsylvania. The other partners are Community Health Systems, Inc. in Scranton, Bon Secours Community Hospital in Port Jervis, and Pike County Radiation Medicine Associates, Inc. The Foundation is also the owner of Wayne Health Services, a for-profit Pennsylvania corporation that is engaged in real estate management, pharmaceutical needs and durable medical equipment sales and rentals. The Foundation, in its own right, also owns and leases a considerable amount of real estate immediately surrounding the main hospital campus, located at 601 Park Street in Honesdale. Although a tax exempt organization, the Foundation, as a good corporate citizen, pays county, municipal and school property taxes on its real estate holdings.